Deregistering students - personal tables!

From: <KML110_at_psuvm.psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1992 13:32:31 EDT

Here's the easiest way I've found of dealing with this problem. It takes advantage of the fact that Oracle only has one set of tables for Forms development (the IAD tables), coupled with public synonyms that point to the SYSTEM-owned tables. A bad design in a transient environment. My solution has been to create a second set of the IAD tables (see the IAD*.SQL scripts in ora_sqlforms30) under a separate user, and create synonyms in the users' accounts to point to that set. The in-house developers use the real tables located in the system tablespace. When the transients leave, blow away the table/tablespace and start fresh. This works because Oracle doesn't require binds like DB2 does. Anyway, if you have tons of space the ultimate way of doing this is to give each user his own set of the IAD tables (form_procedure et al) but I don't know anybody giving away disk space. I would advise putting the second set in a non-SYSTEM tablespace.

Kevin Loney                     "as seen in Oracle magazine"
244 Great Valley Pkwy, Great Valley PA 19355