Re: Help needed with deregistering students

From: Kermit Tensmeyer <tensmekl_at_infonode.ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1992 14:28:27 GMT

In article <17848.2a45efb8_at_levels.unisa.edu.au> ccspr_at_levels.unisa.edu.au writes:
>Can anyone help with a method of deregistering student users at the end of the
>year which also gets rid of their forms, menus etc?
>
>We have ORACLE installed on a Sun SPARCstation. Our SYSTEM tablespace is
>clogged with student work from year's back, and is continually needing extra
>database files.

 gee, you seem to have a real problem and there isn't a simple answer.

 When you have solved the problem, may I suggest that next year for  you students that you add a new tablespace and grant your users  access and resource on _that_ tablespace. At the end of the year you  would be able to export the users who need to remain and drop the tablespace.

 As for the current users, I would first determine whose data needs to  be reatained and export those users first. Then Wipe Out the DataBase  and Recreate it. Add multiple tablespaces and assign users to the tablespaces  and alter the user accounts so that you don't allow them to write to  the system tablespace areas.

 Oracle doesn't allow you to delete users from the system, so you may  want to allow student accounts to be reusable.

 Oh yes you can query the system tables to find tables that the user may have  owned and those table can be dropped from the tablespace. Deleting user  rows from forms tables, menu tables is also possible.

--
         Kermit Tensmeyer                         | Intergraph Corporation
Life is sometimes a bowl of Cherries; Watch out for the pits;