WANTED: Opinions on MUMPS and MUMPS vs. ? (redux)

From: Robert Sanders <sanders_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 92 12:22:01 GMT

Once more with feeling . . .

This is the first repost of a request for opinions. Responses to date (about a dozen) have helped reshape the questions a little.

If you have any experience with MUMPS as a DBMS-oriented language, please let me know of your opinion.

  1. How do MUMPS implementations of a DBMS, e.g . VA FileMan, compare with the usual RDBMS products, e.g. Oracle, Informix, Sybase, others in terms of
    • capacity,
    • performance,
    • flexibility?
  2. What do you think of MUMPS futures? What'll it look like and how will it behave 10 years from now?

If sufficient interest, I will post a summary or digest of messages received to group comp.databases sometime in July or so.

Thanks in advance,
jeff "hawkeye" sanders

--

# a hawkeye in God's kitchen |Iowa State Motto: #
# Internet: sanders_at_netcom.COM | Our Liberties We Prize and #