VAX/Oracle Upgrade Question

From: Jerry Weiss <jweiss_at_casbah.acns.nwu.edu>
Date: 1 Jun 92 18:28:01 GMT

  I would appreciate any comments the net on they following upgrade path I am considering. The current situation is an 11/750 14 mb ram, 1.6 gigabytes disk, 30 terminals, 8 HP Laserjet printers, 8mm and TU80 tape drives, Equinox Data PBX for terminals. I run mostly Oracle V6 applications (SQLforms and Pro*C), WordPerfect and some development (for oracle).

  I had previously considered some used equipment but in spite of a limited budget but the following new configurations seem appealing:

Vaxstation 4000/60 40Mb ram, 2 gigabyte disk, 12 VUPS

Microvax 3000/80 32Mb ram, 2 gigabyte disk. 10 VUPS

For terminal support I'd upgrade my Equinox box for ethernet Lat/Telnet support. Dec's CSLG lets me upgrade from 2 users VMS license to unlimited. I had intended to move my TTI 8mm SCSI tape drive also. Its basically a 8200 Exabyte drive. Are there drivers that would work? I am currently leaning toward the Vaxstation 4000/60 which has more vups and turbochannel for expansion.

I almost entirely CPU starved with the 750, courtesy Oracle. I do not want to solve the CPU problem by introducing another. Any feedback would be appreciated. Received on Mon Jun 01 1992 - 20:28:01 CEST

Original text of this message