Re: Extremely Large Select Statements (HELP!!)

From: Michael Friedman <mfriedma_at_oracle.com>
Date: 4 May 92 18:36:42 GMT

In article <1992May03.011205.21542_at_ecst.csuchico.edu> morganm_at_ecst.csuchico.edu (Mike Morgan) writes:

>I'm executing a rather large SELECT statement in Pro*C that could return
>between 85,000 and 750,000 records. The trouble I run into is I keep getting
>ORA-01547: Failed to allocate extent of size 912 in Tablespace 'SYSTEM'.
>I have expanded the tablespace size to 12M and can't extend it any further due
>to disk space limitiations. Is there an easy way I can break this up into
>several smaller SELECT's?

>Thanks for any information you can offer,

This probably has more to do with your particular select than with the number of rows being returned or your use of PRO*C.

Also, increasing the tablespace size may not help. The key question is the size of the available extents.

Take a look at your select. Something in it is probably requiring a temporary table. If you can play with that you can probably solve your problem.

If not, post again with the query.

Mike

I am not an official Oracle spokesman.  I speak for myself and no one else.