Oracle memory use on PC (was: Re: <None>)

From: Mikko Lahti <lahti_at_pouta.fmi.fi>
Date: 30 Mar 92 13:09:38 GMT

In article <9681.29c9a618_at_cpva.saic.com> brooksj_at_cpva.saic.com (James Brooks) writes:

> In article <fragante.699659939_at_chilko.ucs.ubc.ca>, fragante_at_unixg.ubc.ca (Gv Fragante) writes:
>> We have a 386/33 stand-alone PC where we installed Oracle T&DB V6.0 The PC
>> has 4MB of RAM. After installing, I found out that when I try to run
>> SQLForms, RUNForms or SQLMenu, I get the error:
>>
>> execp error 6: out of extended memory
>>
>> However, when I run SQL*DBA or SQL*Plus, everything is OK. Looking at how
>> the PC's memory is used, MEM /C shows that all extended memory (approx. 3MB+)
>> is allocated by SQLPME. The only other thing in extended memory is DOS that
>> was relocated via DOS=HIGH. This doesn't take much space to seriously affect
>> SQLPME.
>>
>> When I looked up the Oracle Tools Installation and User's Guide, the table
>> of memory requirements showed that SQLForms needed 2800K of RAM, SQLMenu
>> needed 2300K and RUNForm needed 1200K.
>>
>> So how come I could not execute RUNForm despite having twice the required
>> free memory available in extended memory ? My .FRM files are small and simple.
>>
>> I'm I missing something in the installation ?
>>
>> GV Fragante
>> fragante_at_unixg.ubc.ca
>
>The documentation that I have listed the minimum memory requiremtns for oracle
>v6 T & DB at 6MB. I wasn't aware that it would run with less than that ?
>
> jim b.

The problem that the first person was encontering is that local Oracle RDBMS on PC needs 2500 kb of protected memory, that is, extented memory (and also 28 kb of real memory). SQL*Plus needs 500 kb of memory and that can be either real or protected memory depending on what have been chosen in istallation. SQL*DBA needs 425 kb of real memory.
SQL*Forms (RunForm) needs minimum 1200 kb of protected memory.

So, to run SQL*Forms one needs 3700 kb of extented memory, but to run SQL*Plus only 2500 kb for RDBMS because SQL*Plus can run in real memory.

Oracle (including RDBMS) uses extented memory through SQLPME. Because to operating system SQLPME is a "normal" program, MEM (or any other similar command or utility) will only show it. I do not know any way to see how memory is used inside SQLPME. This is IMHO a flaw in Oracle for MS/DOS.

The bottom line is that you can run Oracle T&DB for MS/DOS with less than 6 Mb of memory but not all tools with it.

This is all from both installation manuals of T&DB, but it is not very clearly written so no wonder if you did miss it. It took a while from me also to clear it out.

Mikko Lahti                             mikko.lahti_at_fmi.fi
Finnish Meteorological Institute
P.O.Box 503, SF-00101 Helsinki, Finland Received on Mon Mar 30 1992 - 15:09:38 CEST

Original text of this message