Re: Oracle for Instructional usage on VAX/VMS - multiple instances?

From: Michael A Rife <mar7363_at_tm0006.lerc.nasa.gov>
Date: 20 Feb 1992 17:17 EST

In article <20FEB199210330209_at_bestsd.sdsu.edu>, mccurdy_at_bestsd.sdsu.edu (McCurdy M.) writes...
> We are thinking of running Oracle on our VAX/VMS 6320 system
>next semester. I am wondering about the relationship between instances
>and the database. In a class of 50, for example, should I create one
>database with one instance that every user uses or, should we be using
>multiple instances for performance reasons? Any comments or ideas will
>be appreciated. Thank you ...

An instance is a database. They are the same thing.

I would recommend one database instance. Create one Oracle user account for each student and give that account the needed privileges for the class projects. When the user creates a table, that table is created under his/her own Oracle account. If there are tables that all the students need access to, then create these under a "CLASS ADMINISTRATOR" Oracle account, and grant access to these tables to the students.

On VAX VMS you can create OPS$ accounts. With this the student does not have to remember the Oracle account and password. All they do is when prompted for an Oracle username/password, they enter "/".

|  Michael A. Rife                    | Email:   MAR7363_at_TM0006_at_LERC.NASA.GOV  |
|  Boeing Computer Support Services   |                                        |
|  Space Station Freedom Project      |                                        |
|  NASA Lewis Research Center         | Phone:   216-734-9679                  |
|  Cleveland, Ohio                    |                                        |