Re: ORACLE v5.1 on SUN 3/x and SUNOS 4.1

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 29 Jan 92 03:24:55 GMT

ue701af_at_sun1.LRZ-Muenchen.DE (Unbekannt) writes:
>Is it possible to install an old version of Oracle, namely version 5.1
>on old SUN workstations (3/60, 3/50) running a NEW SUNOS 4.1? Before
>doing this, I would very much like to know what I problems I am likely
>to have....

I have not tried that combination myself. As far as I remember Oracle V5.1 for Sun 3 was written and compiled under Sun OS 3.5. It would run okay under Sun OS 4.0.X but I believe the SQL*Net and other things would fail if you attempted to relink any Oracle executables or Pro*C applications under SunOS 4.0.x Your guess is as good as mine as to what will happen under 4.1.1. Since V6 was released on Sun back in June 1989, you may find it difficult to find any adequate technical assistance for any problems you encounter with V5. In fact, Oracle no longer officially supports V5 on Sun 3.

Roderick Manalac Received on Wed Jan 29 1992 - 04:24:55 CET

Original text of this message