Re: Oracle reports and oraperl

From: Kermit Tensmeyer <tensmekl_at_infonode.ingr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1992 15:10:52 GMT

In article <bartho.6_at_cc.und.ac.za> bartho_at_cc.und.ac.za (Ray Bartho) writes:
>Recently, there was a posting on producing reports (or flat ASCII files)
>from Oracle using a product called oraperl. (At least I think that was the
>gist of it). I did not take much notice of it at the time, but now a
>situation has arisen where this type of quick output is needed.
>1) Is oraperl the appropriate software for this?
>2) If so, from where can it be obtained?

	There is a FreeWare/Gnu style product called Perl which is
	a shell level interface on the equivalence to Ksh, Awk, Sed
	etc etc....   The product allows pattern matching and replacment,
	at an easy understandable pace. The product is deliverable as
	source code. Various interface to databases are also available.
	The modifications to standard Perl to interface with Oracle is
	called OraPerl. Other such modification for Sybase and Informix
	are available.

	Perl's first big project was building complex reports from
	flat file databases. Building of oracle utilities using
	oraperl seemes the better approach. I have seen oracle database
	severs that use the perl approach to networks that by-passes
	the SQL-NET approach.

	The sources are available from the Usenet archieves or comp.sources.
	unix. There is also a news group comp.lang.perl. I would also recom-
	mend the "Camel" book on Perl from O'Reilly & Associates.

	The Package author and Book author is Larry Wall.

	Perl Packages are also available for the Amiga, Atari St and Ms-Dos.

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                                  | Intergraph Corporation
SomeWhere in the South (it's a Civilized place) | "It's only MY opinion" Received on Tue Jan 28 1992 - 16:10:52 CET

Original text of this message