Re: Which Unix Server

From: Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil - Solbourne Administrator <mstgil_at_sol.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1992 21:16:13 GMT

ian_at_unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Ian A. MacGregor) writes:
>I am in the process of preparing a request for a unix Oracle database server,
>and have narrowed it down to two choices: an R/S 6000 550 or a comparable
>(same price range) machine from Sun. The machine will be dedicated to

> Ian MacGregor [Stanford Linear Acclerator Center]

What about a Solbourne instead of a Sun. Solbourne provides a Sun Compatible OS (directly ported from Sun with enhancements like full X11R4 (soon to be 5), Symmetric Multiprocessing etc.). We like their boxes a lot. It's nice to be able to upgrade by just plopping in another CPU card and Solbourne's had this technology for a year or three now, as opposed to Sun just now introducing it. You would likely want a series 500 or 600 system. They tend to be more expensive that Sun's 4/490s etc., but the expense is well worth it in terms of technical support and a simply better (IMO) product. You should at least check them out if you haven't already. We get great EDU discounts and have an excellent sales rep. down here.

Cheers,
Marc St.-Gil [UNIX (Solbourne) system administrator and workstation consultant]

--
Marc St.-Gil, UNIX Systems Administrator   mstgil_at_sol.acs.unt.edu
 University of North Texas  817/565-2324   mstgil_at_vaxb.acs.unt.edu