Porting SQL*Net to Xenix

From: <roeber_at_vxcrna.cern.ch>
Date: 21 Jan 92 12:55:14 GMT

We have an oracle system running (or soon to be running) on a variety of platforms, including vax/vms, apollo/domain, dec/ultrix, sun/os and hp/sux. Now I have to get it (or at least the sql*net portion) running on sco/xenix. This is complicated by the fact that our ip package for xenix is homebrew, and we can't use the asynch lines.

Oracle seems to share my opinion of Xenix and our homebrew ip; however, I still have to deal with it.

Does anybody have any hard data on the sql*net protocol? I can sit down with a network analyzer, but I'd rather not. I plan on using our rpc package as the transport, but am not committed. I'd be grateful for any information anybody has relating to this.

My sql*net manual says, "The SQL*Net software is designed to be easily ported to a variety of hosts" and "Oracle Corp. also plans to support customers who want to develop custom protocols that will work with SQL*Net."

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to follow up on these statements? The oracle support people in our own computer division (CERN staff, not Oracle staff) are of no use: their solution to any problem is to advise we dump whatever hardware we are using and buy Suns instead.

Thanks.

--
Frederick G. M. Roeber | CERN -- European Center for Nuclear Research
e-mail: roeber_at_caltech.edu or roeber_at_cern.ch | work: +41 22 767 31 80