Re: Kermit key-mapping (VMS host/PC emulator)

From: <dlm_at_hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: 18 Jan 92 15:53:11 CST

ortcm_at_cbnewsm.att.com (thomas.mcguigan) writes:
> Our introduction to ORACLE has hit a snag. The terminal emulator of choice
> at our location is kermit (for netbios). Unfortunately, we can't figure out
> how to access the ORACLE functions that require vt100 key-pad strokes.

1. Be sure the KERMIT keys are mapped to VT100 application functions for the specific keyboard you are using. You didn't mention your platforms, but I suspect they are VMS host with PC emulators. This is an ideal environment for mapping, because MS-KERMIT is very flexible and does the best job of emulating the VT100 keyboard.

2. Be sure your VMS Oracle tools are using the ORATERM resource which maps the incoming keystrokes to the correct Oracle tool functions. The DEFAULT map, supplied by Oracle, may not map the same keys you are familiar with.

The answer therefore is that you set up TWO correct mappings in order to get everything as smooth as possible. I will be happy to emial any interested netter the MSKERMIT.INI for MS-KERMIT 3.11 we use for VT100 keyboards, and the ORATERM.R we use for mapping VT100 keystrokes to Forms functions.

--
Dave Mausner, Senior Consultant / Datalogics Inc / Chicago IL / 312-266-4450
dlm_at_dlogics.com                                 Motto: Just show me the code