Re: How do I know how many entries were retrieved?

From: Wayne Amisano <raistlin_at_solwarra.gbrmpa.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 92 01:42:01 GMT

In article <+F#+hJB_at_engin.umich.edu> thau_at_caen.engin.umich.edu (David Michael Thau) writes:
>Hi,
> I'm relatively new to Oracle and have a pretty simple question. I have
>a hypercard stack interface to Oracle and I want to display a message
>saying "No entries retrieved" after appropriate queries. I have the
>queries return their responses directly to the screen, but if no entries
>are retrieved, I don't want to blank out the results of the previous
>query (which is what happens when no entries are retrieved). I could send
>the query results to invisible fields, and then copy the fields, but this
>might take too long. I'm hoping that there's a more elegant way to do this.
> Any ideas will be appreciated,
> Dave.
>.
  I assume you are using Oracle for the Mac! If you are then all you have to do is simply do an execsql "select count(*) into :bogus: from <whereever> where <where condx>". then check that bogus is not zero which will tell you that you have retrieved something. this is done at the top of your script!

of course, if you ae not using OftM, then disregard this!

cul 73's de raistllin
do an

--
Wayne Amisano - Programmer
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority - Townsville, QLD Australia