Re: creating database link

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:06:07 -0500

Ravip via DBMonster.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some clarifications in creating the db link between two DB's. This is
> the first time I'm trying to create it.
>
> 1. What is the pre-requisite before creating db link ? Is the netconfig
> between these DB is required ?

You need to configure a TNS alias in the TNSNAMES.ORA config file located in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. The database will look for the config file there. Once the TNS alias is defined, you can create the db link using this alias.

> 2. Is there any performance issue when trying to access the remote object
> thru db link.

There are some issues. You are transmitting data across the network. So you may have to ensure you network is up to the task. And it helps if you limit the amount of data returned through the db link. So try to construct your query to filter as much data as possible on the remote side before returning the data to the local db.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net