Re: Data migration problems in sqldeveloper

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:53:52 -0700

Shishir wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to migrate the database from SQL Server environment to
> Oracle 10g database.
> I am using SQL developer for the same.
>
> On converting the captured model to oracle model , i am getting lots
> of migration errors and that is mostly in the stored procedures .
>
> The general error is something like this :
> Stored Procedure 'usp_CONTMGTDWRCreateDWR' has language id of 'MSTSQL'
> so will not output for generation .
>
> And when i copy the MS-SQl code in the scratch editor and press the
> translate button , i am predominantly getting these two errors :
>
> 1) cannot translate null
> 2)cannot translate > Unknown object : unxepected end of tree : Line 0
> Column 0
>
> Can anyone tell me what do these errors mean and how can i go about
> correcting them??
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Shishir.

It is essentially impossible to migrate Transact to PL SQL. You need to learn Oracle's concepts and architecture and recode where their is no intersection.

For example, NULL, has entirely different implementations in the two products.

Get a copy of one or all of Tom Kyte's books and read before touching the keyboard.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington