Re: Database Initial data setup - dump file versus SQL Loader

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:29:30 -0700

AnGanesh wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am working for a product based company. For DB setup for our
> product, we are currently using the dump file to generate all the
> required tables and initial data. As part of initial data setup, we
> have both static/lookup data loading and test data loading as well
> (nearly 130 tables have data setup).
>
> During development, we are facing great challenge in the dump file
> generation.... to even make small changes to data and test the same,
> we have to go through the complete process of dump file preparation
> and checking in the same. To avoid this one of the suggestion is to
> move away from dump file and have scripts for tables/views/sp creation
> and load initial data using sql loader. Concern with this approach is
> my installation process becomes bulkier (will take more time to create
> tables and then the sqlloder lot of log files). Number of log files
> to skim through to see whether installation is successful or not etc.
>
> Any suggestions or sharing your experience on this will be of great
> help !!!
>
> Thanks
> Ganesh

I have never worked on any project where an export/import was considered appropriate for installation of a production application. Either go with a script or a combination of a script and transportable tablespaces. You will note that Oracle's EXAMPLES tablespace is a TTS attached during the installation process. You can find the original at $ORACLE_HOME/assistants/dbca/templates as an example.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington