Not sure how to approach this

From: <jctown_at_nb.sympatico.ca>
Date: 3 Sep 2006 08:57:03 -0700

[Quoted] I have 3 tables.
[Quoted] 1)  books
[Quoted] 2)  publishers
[Quoted] 3)  subjects

I *think* I need to use a trigger but not sure. I've loaded up publishers with distinct publisher from books and subjects from distinct subject from books. Now I want to set *something* up so that if I add a new row to "books" a check will be made on publishers and subjects to see if something new is being added and then add a row if this is the case.

Something like

On_New_Book

   insert into publishers

     select publisher from book
     where book.publisher not in (select publisher from book)
   insert into subjects
     select subject from book
     where book.subject not in (select subject from book)

I don't know how close or far away I am. I'm not even sure if a "trigger" is what I need here. Received on Sun Sep 03 2006 - 17:57:03 CEST

Original text of this message