Q: JDeveloper connection settings

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 17 Jul 2006 15:22:19 -0800

I'm trying to login using JDeveloper from Windows XP.

JDeveloper 9.0.4.0

In my sqlnet.ora file I have

        SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) In other applications I login as in this example

	sqlplus /_at_san10a
	( san10a is one example SID I want to access.)

san10a is
RELEASE

1002000100

In other words, I do not specify a user name or password, that is picked up using the NTS authentication setting. I understand that technique uses my Windows XP domain login (though the OS details are hazy to me), and the username within sqlplus appears to confirm that.

But what username and password can I use in JDeveloper? I haven't figured that out yet. If I leave them empty then testing the connection gets "invalid arguments in call", and trying to connect gives me "Vendor code 17433". I tried variations of my XP username and password in case that was allowed, but I just get "ORA-01017: invalid username/password".

(That error message, by the way, illustrates one of the annoying things about the new Java applications from Oracle. I wasn't able to cut and paste that error message into this message since it isn't displayed in a regular windows dialog and so no normal windows utility can get at the text. Instead I either copy it by hand, or do a "brute force" screen dump.)

Anyway, we defined a test user on one database specificly to test this. I explicitly use that particular username and password and then I can login onto the san10a database with no problem, so the only problem is how to use the implicit login.

I'm using the "Connection Type: Oracle (JDBC)", as I don't see anything else that looks better in the list. Perhaps I have to use something else.

Anyway, feedback welcome. Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 01:22:19 CEST

Original text of this message