Re: SQL command line unusable in Linux?

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 22 Mar 2006 09:16:11 GMT

Burkhard Schultheis <schultheis_at_tde-online.de> wrote:

>>> I'm trying Oracle XE on Linux (SuSE 9.3). There is a menu entry for the
>>> SQL command line. But it is nearly unusable: The output from command
>>> 'select * from <table name> is unreadable

> The menu entry is a shell script calling at the end sqplus.sh:
>
> The set command should work because it gives an error message when
> called without parameters.
> Some years ago I worked with SQL*Plus, but I've never seen such a bad
> output. :-(

[Quoted] Actually, I have never seen better output from SQL*Plus when the length of the result line exceeded what was set as line length.

When I get a mess like this on the screen, I type

set line 1000
set pages 0

and then issue the query again.

It is still not pretty, but a little bit more readable.

For best results, I spool the output to a file and view that with a decent editor.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Wed Mar 22 2006 - 10:16:11 CET

Original text of this message