Re: Oracle ORA-01456 error message

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:28:31 +0100

"drit" <fm101_at_cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news: 1140803732.367489.203900_at_p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
| Hello, all. I need help to decipher this error message (ORA-01456).
| According to the description, the cause for this error is: A non-DDL
| insert/delete/update or select for update operation was attempted. And
| the action to correct this error is to Commit (or roll back) the
| transaction, and then re-execute. But it does not seem to work. Any
| help is appreciated.

You strip the message of its most important part: "inside a READ ONLY transaction"
You're in a read only transaction (set with "set transaction read only;") until the transaction is over (with either commit or rollback) you can't modify anything.
The message is correct: you have to reexecute the statement after the end of the transaction but *not* in another read only transaction. So don't reexecute all the steps of your process just the failed statement.

Regards
Michel Cadot Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 19:28:31 CET

Original text of this message