Forms error_text exception

From: <pwu_at_qantas.com.au>
Date: 16 Jan 2006 21:56:55 -0800

[Quoted] I'm using Oracle Forms 6i.

I want to write a message to a table log whenever there is an error in any trigger's PL/SQL code.

I have a forms trigger WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE which has PL/SQL code:

declare

begin
exception

    when others then

        insert into log values (ERROR_TEXT||' - WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE);
end;

The code in the WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE trigger generates an error.

I get a blank error-text on table log despite the fact that the Forms reference manual says that the function ERROR_TEXT can be called at any time.

On the second try I code another forms trigger ON-ERROR and remove the exception handler in WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE: insert into log values (ERROR_TEXT);

This time I get a non-blank error message.

However I want the exception handler in WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE and a non-blank error message so this time I change the trigger WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE to:

declare

begin
exception

    when others then

        :exception_block.whereami:=' - WHEN-NEW-FORM';
        raise Form_Trigger_Failure;

end;

I also change trigger ON-ERROR to:
insert into log values (ERROR_TEXT||:exception_block.whereami );

But this time the ON-ERROR trigger is not run.

How can I have an the exception handler in WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE and get the ON-ERROR trigger to execute?

Thanks for any help. Received on Tue Jan 17 2006 - 06:56:55 CET

Original text of this message