Re: Newbye - Help with Oracle9i, web app and web dev toolkit with PL/SQL

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:53:57 -0500

"Bzm" <bzamfir_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136848795.569205.133220_at_g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thank you for your answer.
> I know about otn.oracle.com, but I wasn't able to find there a
> quickstart or tutorial on how to create a web app and conenct to a
> pl-sql stored proc.
>
> So, for the begining, I'd like to know if someone can point me to this
> direction.
>
> Thank you

besides the database, download HTML DB -- it is one development option, and they have a decent tutorial in the 2-day manual http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/htmldb/index.html

you'll also want to get familiar with the mod_plsql manuals (search http://tahiti.oracle.com)

i've got a couple papers you can download that will give you an overview of mod_plsql at http://www.enquery.com/presentations.html (old, but accurate)

Oracle Web Applications 101 by Versterli (out of print, may be able to find a used copy) give a decent overview of mod_plus applications

skills you will need for mod_plsql development

pl/sql
sql
html, css, javascript

skills you will need for HTML DB development

sql
pl/sql
patience

biggest tip:

if you use mod_plsql, you'll mainly want to use htp.p to stream your own well-written HTML to the browser, other procedures in the htp package provide wrappers for HTML tags, but you end up having to know HTML to use them properly. best bet is to set up you own framework so all HTML calls are encapsulated in standardized procedures shared by all application modules

++ mcs Received on Tue Jan 10 2006 - 12:53:57 CET

Original text of this message