Re: sql*loader and stdin?

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:00:50 +0100

Maxim Demenko wrote:
> Volker Hetzer schrieb:
>

>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure given I don't know your environment. But I would expect that an
>>> external table can do anything SQL*Loader can do ... as they are
>>> essentially the same mechanism.
>>

>> Will try that next week.
>> Thanks a lot!
>> Volker

> To use external tables, data has to be accessible from the server (most
> likely, but not tested, whether CIFS share from client mounted by the
> server will work).
> The differences between sql*loader and external tables are documented at
> http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/et_concepts.htm#i1012231
>
> Where is also some additional information at
> http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/et_concepts.htm#sthref1672
>
> <quote>
> The access driver runs inside the database server. This is different
> from SQL*Loader, which is a client program that sends the data to be
> loaded over to the server. This difference has the following implications:
> The server must have access to any files to be loaded by the
> access driver.
> </quote>
Pity. And since named pipes require windows server (and not just XP) I'm stuck with files. Well, so it's files for the prototype and for testing the rest of the application and then I'm going to take a second long hard look at using bind arrays with spatial objects. Maybe TimesTen can run spatial too. Worst case, the users simply have to live with it...

Lots of Greetings and thanks to all who replied! Volker Received on Mon Jan 09 2006 - 21:00:50 CET

Original text of this message