Re: Locking

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:17:09 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:50:58 +0800, Pat interested us by writing:

> in oracle form when user locks a row. some other process which needs
> the same row will need to wait until the first user commit/rollback.

Depends ENTIRELY on what locks are in place and what lock state the other process needs.

For example, even if a process updates a row, other processes will normally be able to read the previous copy (or before begin of transaction copy) of the row without any hesitation. Writers do not block readders and readers do not block writers - under 'normal' circumstances and within 'normal' limits.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com