Controlling execution of a Multi Query report

From: McCormick <mccormm_at_indy.net>
Date: 30 Sep 2005 13:48:18 -0700

I am using Report Builder 3.0.5 under Oracle 8.1.7

I have a Multi Query data model that I wish to execute in a certain manner.

The Parent Query creates a sorted list of customer IDs based on the account's status and last activity date. The single table involved is huge, 22 million records, and has no index that covers all the columns in the query. Running this query in SQL*Plus creates a list of ~144,000 records in about 20 minutes, which is acceptable.

The Child Query takes the customer ID and sums a small number of records. It also references a single huge table, 200 million records, but has a good index and given the customer ID is very fast.

I have a Group to Group link between these queries with the customer ID returned in the Parent Query referenced in the WHERE clause of the Child Query.

What I would like the report to do is build the initial list of 144,000 customer ID's in the Parent Query before it touches the Child Query. I "saw" the report do this once. A large initial delay followed by rapid page creation. Now, though, it drags through page by page as if Reports has "helpfully" combined the two queries into a giant resource sucking statement.

How can I encourage the Parent Query to completely execute before the Child Query?

Thanks!

Mike McCormick Received on Fri Sep 30 2005 - 22:48:18 CEST

Original text of this message