Re: Problem with Connection String & Data Direct!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:15:27 -0700

Jamie M via DBMonster.com wrote:
> Everything is running on a server internal to the company, not connected to
> the outside world. So yes, it's unsecured, and no, it's not just 'waiting to
> be trashed'. The Oracle version is 9.2.
>

> DA Morgan wrote:
>
>>Is this an unsecured database with no firewall just waiting to be >>broken into and the server trashed? Also need Oracle version.

The reason I asked is that often Oracle servers are protected by firewalls and you need to use Connection Manager, CMAN, to tunnel through the firewall.

In your case ... your confidence in your fellow employees is commendable. You do realize, I hope, that about 80% of all hacking is internal to an organization.

In any case if the issue is not related to a FireWall then my recommendation would be that you perform connection tracing. You can trace ODBC as well as SQL*Net.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org