Re: Mask Account Number in Query

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:38:59 GMT

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 08:12:17 -0700, brett.birschbach interested us by writing:

> Oracle Version 9 is the DB
>
> Perl is the front end. I suppose I can do the masking in the front
> end, but I was hoping there was a way to do it in sql

Since the SQL query is between perl and the database, it is not visible except to a network sniffer. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish by masking it at that level.

That said, if you are trying to obfuscate the stored data, check out DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT package. And if you are trying to defeat sniffers, check out Oracle's advanced security option.

(Perhaps it's the lack of coffee, but this seems a bit like dentistry ... pulling the business requirement is a bit like pulling teeth - apparently difficult and painful. Please tell us what you are trying to accomplish.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com