Re: Optimizing Database Productivity

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:17:35 -0700

fl.peaches wrote:
> Hello!
> I am confused about whether to set PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET or
> SORT_AREA_SIZE. Whichever you recommend, what is the proper value for
> the continuous running of the multiple applications for a database that
> is sized between 6GB and 10GB? If you recommend using the
> SORT_AREA_SIZE what is the proper value for the corresponding
> SORT_AREA_RETAINED_SIZE?
> Currently my system is set to values as follows:
> sort_area_size : 346640 bytes
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.

Depending upon your version, you didn't think it important to mention, the nature of the application and its users the values and recommendations will vary. If one value worked for all ... Oracle wouldn't let you change it.

So start with a StatsPack (9i) or AWR Report (10g). Look in related data dictionary views and then tune the old fashioned way unless you have the 10g Grid Control working in which case you should use it.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org