Re: update view..

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 8 Aug 2005 14:40:44 -0800

sankar.jasti_at_gmail.com wrote:
: Hi,
: i struck with a prob in forms development.. please help me to
: solve...

: i have a form which is based on a view.

: the view which is based on a table, has functions like sum, addition
: and group by..

: when i tried to update table through form it says that it is not able
: to lock the record for update or delete.

First step is to test the updates from the sql*plus command line. If it doesn't work there it can't work in the form.

Assuming the update doesn't work, you will get specific error codes. Look them up. They will reference what is required for a view to be updateble. You will need to change the view so that the rules are followed (which may or may not be possible).

If necessary you could also change the form to access the table(s) directly or generate other data using pl/sql. Either use some pl/sql to keep multiple blocks in sync, or perhaps a master/detail view would be useful (I think there's a wizard to help set that up).

A combination of the two may be easiest. An updateble view that doesn't show everything the form needs, combined with multiple data blocks and some pl/sql to tie it together.

$0.10

--

This space not for rent.