Re: proc advance debug capabilities ?

From: noctem <blackhole_at_nomail.invalid>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:19:19 +0200

sybrandb_at_yahoo.com a écrit :
> Very wrong.
> Performance of a session is not altered by tracing it.
> Performance of the database is not altered by tracing any session.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

As I was a bit disappointed I also asked via metalink (tar). FYI

---
 > > > alter session set events '10046 trace name context forever, level
 > > > 12'; This will then trace for the session only.
 > > I think It may alter performance for all sessions
 > > If mine is really intensive, true ?
 >
 > It depends on many factors including Machine specification,
Application complexity, etc. The only way to know is to test this find
out if there is any impact. tracing a single session for a very short
time period should not cause major problems,

 > There is no documentaion on libsql.a that I can find in support.
---

Thus your answer is equivalent to their point of view (they are less
radical).

Moreover I think If there are lots of database operations then disk i/o
caused by trace level 12 can degrade the total performances of the
server and thus of the database...

Well...
I will check as It's the best way :)

Thanks!