Using a bind variable in an ACCEPT command PROMPT

From: McCormick <mccormm_at_indy.net>
Date: 21 Jun 2005 12:56:46 -0700

[Quoted]   Riddle me this:

[Quoted] Why does this:

ACCEPT newuser CHAR PROMPT 'Enter User Name: ' DEFINE prompt_ln = 'Enter New Users Password[&newuser.]: ' PROMPT &prompt_ln
ACCEPT newident CHAR DEFAULT &newuser PROMPT 'Pswd >'

[Quoted] ...work, but this...

ACCEPT newuser CHAR PROMPT 'Enter User Name: ' DEFINE prompt_ln = 'Enter New Users Password[&newuser.]: ' [Quoted] ACCEPT newident CHAR DEFAULT &newuser PROMPT &prompt_ln

...gives me...

Enter User Name: billy
Ill-formed ACCEPT command starting as New Users Password[billy]:

...?

  I'm using SQL*Plus 3.3.4. Nothing I see in the manuals, the Oracle Forms, Metalink, or newsgroups says that I can't use substitution variables in an accept command.

  Obviously this is no work stoppage. I can just use the working version and have the input on the following line. I just annoys me when the dog doesn't jump through *both* hoops.

  Mike McCormick Received on Tue Jun 21 2005 - 21:56:46 CEST

Original text of this message