Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: Damien <Damien_The_Unbeliever_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2005 23:50:14 -0700

--CELKO-- wrote:
> LOL! Actually, it will be all of the barbarians, snow monsters, etc.
> in those "What's in your Wallet?" ads ALL hitting you at once.
>
> What do the CLR languages do with bits? Did you know that +1, +0, -0
> and -1 are all used for BOOLEANs, but not consistently? This varies in
> MS proprietary language like C# and VB. How do they define their
> functions? In the first edition SQL FOR SMARTIES, I had a list of the
> various vendor MOD() functions differences in the SQL products of the
> day. What about NULLs in the CLR languages?

Um. You are aware that in the COMMON language runtime, VB.NET, C#, and any other CLR language all have EXACTLY the same view of booleans, aren't you? And that in the 2.0 edition of the framework (the one integrated into Server 2005), they even support the concept of nullability.

Damien Received on Thu Jun 02 2005 - 08:50:14 CEST

Original text of this message