Re: Code in the database or middle tier (the CLR controversy)

From: Damien <Damien_The_Unbeliever_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2005 06:16:02 -0700

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
> <SAN3141_at_netscape.net> wrote in message
> > There doesn't seem to be consensus about when to put code in the
> > database or in the middle tier. There was a long discussion about this
> > in an Oracle newsgroup (message ID:
> > ULcQb.466$KU5.37_at_nwrddc02.gnilink.net).
>
> If I have time I'll review all these links... but my take away is this...
>
> Used intelligently, CLR will be a godsend.

[snip]
We're all doomed, aren't we :-|

My own take is actually pretty similar. I think it has potential. It doesn't *have* to be used, but the danger is that the "less experienced" will encounter a problem they cannot solve easily in SQL, and decide to go for BFI instead of either going to a good book, or asking an intelligent question on usenet (my two main sources of learning)

Personally, I'm looking forward to it, although I personally don't feel they've gone far enough :-) Hey, do you suppose if they opened up the interoperability between SQL server internals and the CLR, such that it was possible to augment T-SQL up to full SQL-99 (or whatever standard we chose) compliance, certain people would still object? Received on Wed Jun 01 2005 - 15:16:02 CEST

Original text of this message