Re: Execute 650 mb sql script

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:30:07 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>Frank van Bortel wrote:
>>

>>>Yes. Break up the 650MB file in small chunks.
>>>And and insert into table(...) values (...); will succeed, as long
>>>as that piece of code remains smaller than 32kB
>>>(or larger - latest version, which is absent again...)
>>

>>How can you give this advice when you have no more idea than the
>>rest of us, I presume, as to what is in the script?
>>
>>Did I miss something in the thread?
>

> Yes [, Paul's suggestion could be valid in *some* circumstances].
>
> [If all you need to do is] break up the 650MB file is chunks.
>
> The above two lines was mainly what I was reacting upon.

Then it makes sense. I kept thinking what could you possibly put into a file, to insert into Oracle, that would be 650MB? If it was a .dmp file for import I could buy it. If it was a .dat file for SQL*Loader I could buy it. But 650MB of inserts? Someone needs to be taken out to the woodshed.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington