Re: [ANN] SPAMDog 2005

From: Martijn Tonies <m.tonies_at_upscene-removethis.nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:36:52 +0100

> : CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.tools
>
> : Comp.databases.oracle.tools is a news group provided for discussion of
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> : software applications and tools
>
> No mention of announcements, only discussion.

> : Based on our review, nothing in that charter "specifically forbids any
> : promotional or marketing or public relations postings",
>
> It doesn't specifically forbid discussions of pet cats or star trek
> either - but that doesn't mean they belong here.

[Quoted] As far as I know, star trek or pet cats aren't "software applications or tools".

:-)

Either way, although I understand the issues with announcements for third party products, the tone of messages asking for apologies and so in the Oracle newsgroups, is, to say at least, harsh. The changes in messages and replacing product names with "spam" or otherwise silly comments are childish. Make phonecalls to people at the company - instead of sending e-mail or replying to the offending post - seems rather overdone to me as wel.

I read many newsgroups and read the (occasional) comments with regard to third party product announcements, cross-posting and multi-posting and have never ever seen such harsh comments as in the Oracle related newsgroups.

A simple reply saying that these kind of announcements are not wanted would suffice.

All IMO of course.

--
With regards,

Martijn Tonies