From: Nicolas Mayoraz <nm01_at_dkweb.ch>
Date: 5 Jan 2005 05:58:06 -0800

Malcolm Dew-Jones (yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca) wrote :

This post is a followup of previous thread with same name, but I had a problem when replying :-(

>Nicolas Mayoraz (nm01_at_dkweb.ch) wrote:
>
>: I'm trying to load an UTF8 file with fixed length record using SQL
>: Loader for Oracle 8i.
>
>But utf-8 isn't fixed length.

I know utf-8 is not fixed length. I'm not referring to the byte length (number of bytes needed to encode) but to the characters length (number of characters seen when displayed on the screen) = number of characters seized by the end-user

>One possibility...
>
>Make the fields in the load file long enough to contain the maximum
length
>of utf-8 data for that field, and then pad the bytes of each field to
be
>that length when you create the load file, and then trim off the
padding
>as the field is inserted into the table.

Unfortunately, I have no way to change the received file :-( But thanks for the idea. Received on Wed Jan 05 2005 - 14:58:06 CET

Original text of this message