Re: Oracle date format

From: Bricklen <bricklen_at_zyahoo.zcomz>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 21:19:19 GMT

Bill wrote:
> To make a long story short. I am using a 3rd party tool (web based) to
> insert data into Oracle. We have no access to the source code of the 3rd
> party tool. Everything works fine until we encountered the need to insert a
> datetime value. If just date, we have no problem, but when the time is also
> needed, then we have this problem.
>
> The 3rd party tool works with all databases, which we have many...probably
> using JDBC. For all datatypes, except datetime, we have no problem. The
> only place we are encountering problem is with Oracle, we were able to
> insert datetime into SQLServer okay. For datetime, I believe we need to put
> the data into the vendor's own format. (I maybe wrong.)
>
> Bill

And you can't change your Oracle database(s) NLS_DATE_FORMAT settings? Is this one of those "one size fits all" generic apps that is the bane of every dba on earth? --> eg. it doesn't use bind variables, is coded to the lowest common denominator, and topples when put under a relatively light load?

If not, then how is the app coded to know when it is inserting/connecting to Oracle? If that much is _not_ independent of db's, then why can't you get the vendor to change the code? I would think that it's the vendor's duty to provide you with code that works etc. Barring that, you could also use triggers to set your NLS settings on connect, or maybe an "instead of" trigger w/ view etc. Received on Thu Nov 04 2004 - 22:19:19 CET

Original text of this message