Re: Oracle date format

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:43:24 -0500

"Bill" <bill_at_tadi.com> wrote in message news:cme261$24$1_at_news.sap-ag.de...
| Hi,
| Thank you for everybody's comments.
|
| I am aware of the various Oracle functions available, e.g. TO_DATE.
| However, if I am NOT able to use those functions, how can I insert a time
| value into a column.
|
| I can do a "select sysdate from dual;" to find the date format I need to
| enter. How do I get the time format? or data and time format, combined
in
| 1 string.
|
| Thanks

Bricklen was right -- I missed you comment about not be able to use those functions.

I suppose the question is why? That's the only way you can convert string data to Oracle's internal date/time format.

Also, you may be aware of those functions, but it does appear you do need to [Quoted] read up a bit more and see why they are necessary and how Oracle handles dates -- also investigate the NLS_DATE_FORMAT and related parameters.

Could you shed some light on why you cannot use those functions? I'm afraid [Quoted] if you can't, you will not be able to date and time values in your application. Seriously.

++ mcs Received on Thu Nov 04 2004 - 21:43:24 CET

Original text of this message