Re: Oracle, Samba, and Win2k

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2004 15:08:28 -0700

afilonov_at_yahoo.com (Alex Filonov) wrote in message news:<336da121.0409070751.37d31620_at_posting.google.com>...
> Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:<u3fjj09n73am3qqavkpe6toofs0053s4bs_at_4ax.com>...
> > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:41:46 GMT, Harvey
> > <harveyb_at_NoSpambeliveau.ccHere> wrote:

> > >As long as the drive remains mapped, yes. That's not an unusual
> > >configuration at all. What may be experienced on occasion are slight
> > >delays while the programs are loaded across the network, but it's not a
> > >show stopper. You can also take the registry entries from that machine,
> > >export them, merge them on other machines mapped the same, add the path
> > >statements on the other machines, and then use the same install for
> > >multiple clients.
> > >
> > >Harv
> >
> > It is probably unimportant to you Oracle won't support this config.
>
> Are you sure? I worked for couple of companies with Oracle client mass-
> installed on network drives (Win95, WinNT, Win2000) and it looked like
> Oracle supported this configuration. Any references?

A quick search on metalink shows some support, and some things not supported (ie Repository Object Navigator).

The companies where I have seen it have a divergent view of "Supported by Oracle the Product" and "Oracle Support." And more generally, often a really bad idea of what and how to test.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
What're you lookin' at?