Re: arabic text from linux to windows oc4j servers

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:19:19 +0200

Mohamad Charaf wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to send arabic text from one oc4j 9i Release 2 j2ee server
> to a servlet in an another application server, through a
> URLConnection. i have set the encoding of the url connection to
> windows-1256. The characterset of the jsp is windows 1256. I have set
> the request from the jsp by calling
> request.setCharacterEncoding("windows-1256") in the servlet.
> If the two oc4j are installed on windows machines, everything goes
> smooth, however, in my case, i have the servlet on a windows machine,
> while the jsp is calling it from a linux machine, in such case, I get
> ??????? instead of arabic characters.

[snip java code]

Haven't been doing any programming, but have had a share of character set based problems...
IIRC, java only supports a limited number of character sets, and windows-1256 is not one of them. Try utf-8 instead. The fact that the platform uses windows-1256, is a different thing; Windows will (should) handle the utf to 1256 conversion.

I may be out of line with the "java does not", but the java oracle supplies certainly does not, and it's documented.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel