Re: ProC

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:47:12 GMT

Brett Robson wrote:

> I have not used Oracle for 4 or 5 years and I thought I would
> download the developer licence software to re-hone my skills. I
> can't the Pro C tool under Oracle 10. Can someone tell what
> Oracle is calling ProC these days or has it been dropped?
>
> Brett

Are you perhaps thinking of the Pro*C Precompiler? Or perhaps the Windows VC++ GUI around that precompiler?

[Quoted] The Oracle database 10g doc set has info about both (surprisingly the 9.2 versions are documented in the 10g doc set), at

http://docs.oracle.com

>> Oracle Database 10g Release 1 (10.1) Documentation
>> View Library
>> Books (tab)
>> Pro*C/C++ Precompiler Programmer's Guide  OR
>> Pro*C/C++ Precompiler Getting Started for Windows

from

http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/portal.portal_demo3?selected=3

The docs discuss the directories, and the Windows doc specifically discuses the GUI tool.

While you are there, I strongly encourage you to spend time in the "Application Developer's Guide - Fundamentals" as a number of things have improved or just changed. Tom Kyte's 'Effective Oracle by Design' is also a handy reference to get you up to speed, while encouraging efficient and performant coding techniques that take the changes into account.

HTH
/Hans Received on Thu Jul 08 2004 - 04:47:12 CEST

Original text of this message