Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middle tier

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:55:26 -0500

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.database.oracle.] On 2004-01-19, Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Joe,
> I am a Siebel configurator/programmer (Siebel is a "Customer
> Relationship Management" software, which can be considered analogous
> to SAP). My personal experience with the issue which interests you is
> that as much as possible should be stored in the database. Siebel, by
> some twisted reasoning about compatibility of code on various
> databases (it runs on Oracle, SQL Server and DB2), decided to keep

That's just plain silly. Given that all of those products are variants on a single specification based on SQL, the DDL is the least likely part of these products to present cross-platform development issues. Niggling quirks with datatypes (like date/time) are going to be far more interesting.

My last project involved a product that was ported from msSQL to Oracle (and then back) with another DB2 port in progress. Outside of stored procedures, it was pretty simple to use perl to convert an Oracle schema into something suitable for msSQL.

[deletia]                                                       Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 22:55:26 CEST

Original text of this message