Re: Import Designer 2000 Web PLSQLs into Designer 9i

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:15:59 +0200

[Quoted] Jason King wrote:

> Sorry, Raz, you're screwed.  There is no reverse engineering tool for
> web pl/sql packages.  Given that Oracle has declared Designer a "mature"
> tool that won't be receiving any new updates I wouldn't start into
> learning how to build Designer web pl/sql applications.
> Raz wrote:
>

>> Hi there,
>> Firstly, I am total dodo when it comes to Designer and i have just
>> started out scratching the surface of this 'my where did i land' apps!
>>
>> Someone decided to change a till now less used Client application
>> coded in Designer 2000 and.... here i am!
>>
>> So here goes..
>> i have a Web application generated entirely through Designer 2000
>> toolset. Its working in the production environment without any
>> glitches. Currently no Designer repository is maintained on the
>> production sever or anywhere else and all Web PL/SQL code is available
>> only as database packages.
>>
>> Now I need to enhance this app. I am using Designer 9iDs and need to
>> import all the packages and procedures created for the web application
>> (using Designer 2000) into the Designer 9i repository.
>>
>> Can this be done at all? All guides point to creating/connecting to a
>> repository and then creating new Web pages using web server generator.
>> But i need to modify an existing Web PL/SQL page. Do i have to
>> re-write the entire thing as the code is not maintained in any
>> repository OR is there any way i can extract these stored packages
>> from the database onto the newly created repository and then start
>> modifying from there?
>>
>> PS: I am not sure if the above write up is making any sense to you!
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>> Cheers
>> Raz

[Quoted] Nonsense, you can reverse engineer any PL/SQL in designer....

It's just a pity you will not have any relations, code reusability, etc, what could have been inside the previous repository. Don't you have a backup, or application export lying around somewhere?
Would be a tremendous help.

If not - you're faced with the problem of distinguishing Designer added (transactional/referential) code from the actual application code.
Not a nice task, as one of the long standing bugs has been the size of Designer generated packages and procedures being too large for SQLplus to execute...

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel