Re: Urgent!!!!! migration question

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 20:02:29 +0200

sonika wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am using oracle migration utility...and want to migrate database
> from microsoft access to oracle.And in one of my access table one
> field is very long,it's datatype is 'memo'..so how can i copy this
> table into oracle or what datatype should i use in oracle table to
> copy this field.
>
> Appreciate any kind of help and suggestion.
>
> Thanks in advance..
> pls. reply me soon..
>
> Thanks you...
> sonika

OMW will be able to extract the field, and SQL*Loader will insert it - control files) generated from OMW. Some alterations may be in order, like changing to char(256000).
Iirc memo fields in SS2K/Access will never be more than 32 kb?

And to answer your question:
CHAR -> varchar2 (4000 byte max.), or CLOB (4 GB max.). Anything that could be binary data (Documents in any format), use BLOB. Memo sounds as character data, so a CLOB (Character Large OBject) would be an improvement over memo in Access

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel