Forms5/6i: any benefits using NAME_IN instead of bind variable ?

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:24:34 +0200

Hello,

[Quoted] I just stumbled upon the NAME_IN built-in in a forms PU, and found that in my little case all that snippets could be replaced and shortened by using bind variables (the items). When I found

   If Name_In('Person.Id') Is Null ...

,I replaced it with

   If :Person.Id Is Null ...

The Forms docco says many things that *can* be done with NAME_IN. But AFAIAC, I could not find any benefits using it. I even thought it is harder to re-read in maintainance. If e.g. the block name changes, NAME_IN will not notice it, but the bind variable will, when I compile.

The question is: is it *wise* (not) to prefer NAME_IN for some purposes ? So far I thought bind variables are the way to go, always.

Same goes for COPY built-in, BTW ...

Any comments appreciated.
P.S.: Forms 5/6i , Oracle EE 8.1.7.3

TIA,
Jan Received on Tue Apr 13 2004 - 16:24:34 CEST

Original text of this message