Re: Does Oracle 10g make the Application Server (almost) insignificant?

From: Roel <>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:48:38 +0100

Dave wrote:

> "rcf<_no.SPAM_>" <"rcf<_no.SPAM_>"> wrote in message news:<402bdf50$0$1583$>...

>>In my belief the valid reasons for having an application server/layer are:
>>- fail-over/system availability: the application layer can be divided
>>over many different nodes; failure of one will not result in system failure.
>>- scalability: the application layer is deployed on a number of
>>different, relatively cheap nodes - this number can easily be increased.
>>- load balancing: this prevents one node to be a bottleneck while others
>>have nothing to do.
>>(But maybe there are more reasons...)
>>So, the fact that the application layer is deployed on many, cheap nodes
>>(servers) allows it to offer the services that made it imperative within
>>the 3-tier concept.
>>Since the introduction of Oracle10g, the typical enterprise scale
>>database hardware will shift from one very expensive, high-end server to
>>a farm of standardized, commodity priced components/servers. This means
>>that you no longer need an application layer to have a scalable, fault
>>tolerant system with flexible load balancing: the database layer can do
>>this for you now! (Besides, the fault tolerance of the application layer
>>wasn't of much use if you're database goes down.)
>>So my conclusion is that for many if not most Oracle Internet
>>applications, the application layer will become less important with the
>>introduction of Oracle10g. The data layer will take over! Apart from
>>some simple tasks like connection pooling and processing XML into a
>>presentation format or a web service and even these tasks can be done
>>by the Oracle database! - there no longer seems to be a valid reason
>>for having a robust application server.
>>I'm very interested in other people's views on this subject.
> Roel -
> I have wondered about this myself from time to time. I am by no means
> an expert, but the database is optimized for persistance and
> serving/processing information (though Oracle has a lot of additional
> built-in features.) An application server (I'm thinking in terms of a
> J2EE app server) is a more generic code container. If your application
> is mostly INSERT/UPDATING/DELETING/SELECTING, then you may be right.
> But what if you needed a real-time chat environment, or if you wanted
> to implement some specific caching algorithm, or you wanted a client
> request to spawn a multi-threaded process to do many things in
> parallel. Perhaps you could implement this in PL/SQL, but would it be
> the best place to do it? I'm not sure...
> Dave

Dave, thank you for reaction. I agree that for some applications that are not data-centric (like a chat application) using PL/SQL whould not be wise. Using Java or .Net would be a better choice.

But as most Oracle customers have/build data-centric applications, the value of the Oracle Application Server (or any other application server in this situation) becomes very questionable in my view.

Roel Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 04:48:38 CST

Original text of this message