Re: Handle count leak when connecting to Oracle via ODBC on Windows

From: Kong Li <likong_at_email.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2004 11:50:06 -0800

Follow up to this thread,
Instead of Microsoft ODBC for Oracle, I also used Oracle ODBC driver (version 9.02.00.54) while keeping everything else the same. There is also handle count leak. 2 per
AllocHandle/connect/disconnect/FreeHandle, identical to the behavior of using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle.

To be more specific, after a successful SQLDriverConnect, the handle count increases quiet a few. After the SQLFreeHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, hdbc), the handle count drops back but is still 2 more than the handle count value before SQLDriverConnect.

I used the same code to connect to SQL 2000 with MSSQL ODBC driver (version 2000.81.9042.00). There is no handle count leak. This leads me to believe the code itself is correct.

The Oracle server is 9i (9.2.0).

Here is the skelton code:

SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_ENV, NULL, &henv); while (true) {
  construct connection string for a new Oracle server   SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, henv, &hdbc);   if (SQL_SUCCEEDED(SQLDriverConnect(hdbc,...))) {     SQLDisconnect(hdbc);
  }
  SQLFreeHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, hdbc);
}

Any ideas or pointers?