Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middletier

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:49:24 -0800

HK wrote:

> Andrew Carruthers wrote:
>> Logic should reside as close to the data as possible
>
> It looks like BEA documentation agrees with you:
>
> http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs81/jdbc/performance.html#1025805
>
> IMHO, you should code where you feel most comfortable. This does not
> mean doing data integrity checks in the middleware app. That should
> always be done in the DB.

I agree with you and the doc. (I wrote it ;-) ). That shouldn't conflict with data caching, nor business rules/logic where the cache is. That documentation refers to JDBC programming, to prevent row-by-row raw data retrieval to clients in Java to do dumb iterative, non-set-based processing, like I described in the payroll application that was converted to 4 pipelined stored procedures.

Joe Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 22:49:24 CET

Original text of this message