Re: remove port number from 9iAS url

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:44:34 +0100

g. doogle wrote:

> We're about to deploy an web app using 9iAS release 2. The docs say to
> use the following format to access the page:
> http://aaa.bbbb.com:7777/Registration/main.html. For obvious reasons I
> would prefer not to announce the port to the free world. How do I
> change it so that the port number is not displayed or required in the
> url?
>
> Thanks.

What would those obvious reasons be, I wonder? Standard HTML protocol is port 80 - everyone knows that, even browsers. So, if you just type www.apache.org, it will try a connection to port 80, and most browsers will actually use http://www.apache.org:80/index.html.
By default, and by definition!

Similar for secured http (https) - it's port 443. And all other services (ftp, gopher, SSH, etc., etc)

Also, by definition, if you do not wish to use the default, you must specify the actual port used. 7777 in your case.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel