Re: ora-12203 can't connect from form builder to local database

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_lilypond_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:00:42 GMT

Jacek wrote:

> hello,
> I have database 9i and developer 6i installed on my computer.
> when trying to connect from form builder to database I get
> ORA-12203:TNS:unable to connect to destination
> SQL Plus, isqlplus work fine.
> here are some of the configuration files:

[Quoted] Many people install a database server and various client software into different ORACLE_HOMEs (usually because it's necessary). Then they set up the Oracle Networking stuff for the ORACLE_HOME related to the server, but totally forget that the client software has a completely independant set of Oracle Networking configuration in the client's ORACLE_HOME. Please check that ALL of your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora files point to the server. Apparently the one for your server already does. Suggest you verify same for the developer kit.

Please note that LISTENER.ORA is for the receiver's (database server) side, whereas TNSNAMES.ORA is for the sender's (client's) side.

Finally, please note that even when they are installed with the server, SQL*Plus and iSQL*Plus are "client side" utilities. This is the cause for much confusion.

HTH
/Hans Received on Sun Jan 04 2004 - 00:00:42 CET

Original text of this message